[pdftex] unicode in pdftex

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jun 20 12:04:36 CEST 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Peter Schröder wrote:

> I want to specify some symbols in unicode in the document info string
> and in section titles. \366 (for o-umlaut) works as expected, but how do
> I get the sqrt symbol? In unicode it is at hex 221A. Naive translation
> into a 5 digit octal code did not do the trick. How do you get those
> beasts?

If your are using hyperref, you can use \"o (or "o with german packages):

  \usepackage{ngerman}
  \usepackage{hyperref}
  \hypersetup{%
    pdfauthor={Peter Schr"oder},
    pdftitle={...},
  }

And you can use Unicode with option \usepackage[unicode]{hyperref}

But I doubt that you can see the sqrt symbol, but AR cannot
display all Unicode symbols, see the hyperref test file testbmu.
For details, see my talk in hyperref/doc/.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at ruf.uni-freiburg.de>