[pdftex] Re: tex2pdf 2.1 released -- appologies for my ignorance

Timothy Murphy tim at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jun 19 01:45:29 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 06:02:11PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >I don't understand this. First, RedHat is just repackaging tetex, they don't
>
> exactly, which is stupid since it is already packaged, but maybe they can
> give their users the feeling that they did the job by repackaging it

Hans Hagen and Sebastian Rahtz are both rather unfair to RedHat, in my experience.
RedHat have to "package" teTeX as RPM files -- I take it that was what was meant.
As far as I can see, RedHat normally take the current (not beta) version,
and simply creates an RPM file or files from itply creates an RPM file or files from it.

I must admit I have re-compiled teTeX for other reasons,
but I used the version that came with RedHat-7.1 for several weeks,
and it seemed to work perfectly.

I'm sure if They produced an RPM version of teTeX RedHat would be happy to use it.
Actually, this would greatly simplify updating pdftex,
if one just had to say "rpm -Uvh pdftex-xyz.rpm".