[pdftex] Titles with underscores and TOC

ekkehard.goerlach at pharma.novartis.com ekkehard.goerlach at pharma.novartis.com
Fri Jun 15 11:09:00 CEST 2001

Hi,

I am using pdftex as backend of openjade to produce pdf files from docbook
XML files.

Currently I face a small problem as some of my chapter titles contain
underscores. The hyperref package thinks these are subscripts and issues
the following warning:

Package hyperref Warning: Token not allowed in a PDFDocEncoded string,
(hyperref)                removing 'subscript' on input line 12000.

As a consequence of omitting the 'subscripts' the destination identifiers
of the chapter titles are not unique  any more (there are chapters like
chap_one, chap_two). Hence the TOCs in the document are incomplete (lot's
of -999, ??). The chapter titles themselves are correct (with underscore)
in the body of the document and the TOC.

A tex snipped of a small test document looks like

[...]
  {1}}1. \Node%
  {\def\Element%
  {3}\def\ProcessingMode%
  {title-sosofo-mode}}Chap with\char95{}Underscore\endNode{}\def\HeadingText{%
  1. Chap with_Underscore}%
  \endHeadPar{}\endSeq{}\Node%
  {\def\Element%
  {3}}\endNode{}\Node%
[...]

If I manually escape the  _  in 'with_Underscore' with a \, the output is
ok.  Is there a way to solve that? I would even do without the bookmarks in
the pdf file if only the TOCs would be ok.

I am using openjade 1.3.1, tetex 1.06, jadetex 3.5 and hyperref 6.17g on a linux box.

Thanks for any help,
Ekkehard