[pdftex] using includegraphics with pdflatex ...[pdflatex (file describeSL1.pdf): cannot open image file]

Yann Gautier yann.gautier at ifp.fr
Wed Jun 6 13:18:47 CEST 2001

Hello,

I have a problem with graphics in pdflatex. pdflatex doesn't seem to
locate correctly the  pdf files.

I use the simple tex file :

\documentclass{report}%[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\newif\ifpdf
\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
\pdffalse % we are not running PDFLaTeX
\else
\pdfoutput=1 % we are running PDFLaTeX
\pdftrue
\fi
%
\ifpdf
\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.pdf,.mps,.png,.jpg}
\usepackage[pdftex]{hyperref}
\else
\usepackage{graphicx}
\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.eps}
\fi
\begin{document}
\begin{figure}[hbtp]
  \centering
   \includegraphics{describeSL1}
\end{figure}
\end{document}

the file describeSL1.pdf is located in another directory. When I run
pdlatex, I get the following message :
Error: pdflatex (file describeSL1.pdf): cannot open image file

When I move describeSL1.pdf into the current directory it works well.
Another weird thing is that kpsewhich describeSL1.pdf gives the correct
location and that if I compile the latex file with latex, all the eps
files are found.

Is there a file to configure so that latex tries to locate the pfd file
in the  $TEXINPUTS directory list.

I am running tetex 1.0x on an UltraSparc10

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Yann Gautier (yann.gautier at ifp.fr)