[pdftex] AR 5 not working with pdftex?

rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jun 5 10:25:36 CEST 2001

It seems to me that the reason these problems don't show up with
distiller produced pdf is because distiller embeds type 1 fonts
in the pdf file in CFF form, and then Acrobat Reader manages to
correctly unconvert them from CFF to the original type 1 format
when sending the file to a postscript printer. (I've only got
distiller 3.01, but that's how things appeared to me.) I presume
that Adobe are using CFF in all their products; so the safest
way for pdftex to go is to also use CFF. It has, of course,
the added advantage of taking less space. I realize that it may
be a difficult programming task to incorporate into pdftex a
component that converts standard type 1 fonts to CFF for embedding
purposes, but if there is anyone out there with the time and the
knowledge needed for the task, that would be the best thing to do.

Bob Howlett