[pdftex] AR 5 not working with pdftex?

Y&Y Support support at YandY.com
Sat Jun 2 14:29:08 CEST 2001

Hi:

At 13:21 2001-06-02 -0400, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

>Do you mean that ATM does not parse subroutine 4, but rather, when it sees
>subroutine 4 being called ina charstring, ATM uses its own internal
>representation of subroutine 4 to activate hint replacement?

Details differ between different versions of ATM, but the basic idea is
that ATM has no PS interpreter. Hence it cannot handle OtherSubrs e.g.
It does interpret Subrs, of course, but when it gets to OtherSubrs,
it assumes the first four are the "standard" ones used for FlexProc
and hint replacement, and it ignores the rest.

>That is what I thought happened...
>
>But pdftex does not change this "linkage".  The last time I looked at the
>subsetting code in pdftex, it leaves the subroutine numbers alone, and just
>removes the routines that are not needed (so there are gaps in the resultant
>Type 1 font's Subrs array).

Which in itself is an "error" since some rasterizers crash or complain
when the number of Subrs does not match the size of the Subrs Array.
One might think that having too *large* an array should not cause a
problem, but as a result of bad experience with previous PS interpreters,
we don't allow any differences in size of Subrs and size of CharStrings.

So the pdfTeX problem may have nothing specifically to do with hint
replacement, but use of Subrs in general (since the BSR/Y&Y/AMS
CM fonts generally use Subrs *only* for hint replacement).

Regards, Louis.