[pdftex] Re: Problem with printing

Tom Kacvinsky tjk at ams.org
Tue Jul 24 18:50:03 CEST 2001

Hi all,

I have sent to Troy a list of the tests I ran, and I have isolated the
printing problem.  Since I did not tell him what the problem was, I will do
so now.

It appears that the number of saves (as in save/restore) allowed by the PS
spec was exceeded when printing the PDF file using the Macintosh print
drivers.  What I did to get around this was to export the PDF file to a PS
file (thus bypassing the print driver's inclusion of one [or more] extra
saves), and then I printed the file using the Macintosh print queue management
software.  No problems.

This was a PS error, not a problem with pdftex's PDF code.  xpdf's pdftops
handled the PDF file just fine.  I will look into why GS fails.  It might
be a bug in GS.

Tom