[pdftex] pdftex patch with pdfcrypt plus several fixes

Berthold Crysmann crysmann at dfki.de
Tue Jul 10 19:47:51 CEST 2001

Dear Ricardo,

I recently discovered what seems to be bug with the recent version of
pdcrypt (06/21/2001). It may be that it is related to the workaround for
AR5. OK, here it goes.

PDF documents generated with the above version have caused problems with
my gs based spool system.
It appears that the PostScript generated by AR 4.05 linux only displays
properly when fed to gs as a file. If gs runs as a filter (as e.g. in
CUPS), gs exits with an "undefined" error (could be something font
related, but I am not sure). Reverting to the official pdftex relaease
(0.14h) makes the problem go away.

Here is a way to reproduce the behaviour:

1. Generate pdf file
2. Open with AR 4.05 and print to file.
3. Test with gs: gs <file.ps > should work, cat <file.ps> |gs - should
fail.

With the non-patched non-crypt version, both invocations work.

I do not recall anymore, whether pdf2ps (gs) has the same problem.

Hope this helps track the problem down.

Cheers,

Berthold

--
Berthold Crysmann
Deutsches Forschungszentrum Kuenstliche Intelligenz (DFKI) GmbH