[pdftex] URL for latest PDFTeX / what happend with tug.org?

White, George WhiteG at mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Wed Jan 31 08:59:21 CET 2001

I'm not sure it fair to say people refuse to have their "latest"
software on CTAN.  In the cases I have encountered, the versions
that aren't on CTAN are generally "test" versions.

It is important to consider the burden on a contributer.  If a
package developer has a site where it is easy to post updates,
it may be more effective to release test versions to a limited
audience (in particular, people looking for a specific new
feature/bug-fix) rather than dealing with a large number of
bug reports if something is released to general use before
it is ready.

CTAN should encourage authors of packages to include pointers to
sites where such test versions can be found as well as some
indication of the package stability (e.g., "this packages hasn't
changed in several years and probably won't be updated in the
next year" vs "this package is still being developed -- test
versions will be released frequently").

Revision control systems with bug tracking such as Sourceforge
offers might be worth considering, but I suspect many CTAN
contributers won't have the sort of network access this requires.