[pdftex] Hyperref and resetting counters...

Jody M. Klymak jklymak at oce.orst.edu
Fri Jan 5 13:29:18 CET 2001

Hi,

I appologize if this isn't really appropriate for the pdftex list, but I
figure this is the best group of hyperref users....

I want two figures to have the same figure number w/o subnumbering, so I
simply decrease the figure counter:

\begin{figure*}[htbp]
  \begin{center}
    \includegraphics{fig1}
  \end{center}
    \caption{Blah blah blah}
\label{fig:fig21}
\end{figure*}

\addtocounter{figure}{-1}

\begin{figure*}[htbp]
  \begin{center}
    \includegraphics{fig2}
  \end{center}
    \caption{Continued.}
\label{fig:fig2}
\end{figure*}

This works great but hyperref gets upset:

ERROR: pdfTeX warning (ext4): destination with the same identifier
(name{figure.5})
--- TeX said ---
has been already used, duplicate ignored <to be read again>
\endgroup  l.619 \clearpage                  <./fig2.jpg>] [9 --- HELP ---
No help available

This error is unfortunate, because the document typesets perfectly, and the
hyper references work fine.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a better
way to get what I want (I know about subfloat, but I don't want the figures
named fig. 1a, 1b etc because each figure has six frames already called fig.
1a-1l.)

Thanks,  Jody