[pdftex] square root in metapost

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Feb 26 10:24:38 CET 2001

At 06:53 PM 2/23/01 -0300, margarida wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am having trouble including the square root symbol in a
>metapost picture. If I process the picture in metapost  by
>itself, everything works fine. The troble arises when trying
>to use pdflatex to process the metapost commands directly as
>in the error.tex file below

Looks like unwanted expansion. You can try \string\sqrt and \string\frac in
you example.

>Without the square root text the file runs OK.  Any help is
>appreciated.

If you have a bit recent version of context, you can say:

\starttext

\setupMPpage[offset=1pt]

\startMPpage
  label.lft (btex $\displaystyle \frac{a-b}{2}$ etex, (1cm,0)) ;
  label.top (btex $\sqrt{ab}$                   etex, (3cm,0)) ;
\stopMPpage

\stoptext

and get a stand alone graphic, that can be included in latex. (more on that
in the mtafun manual).

I will send you the pdf off list

Hans

                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl