[pdftex] font transformations

Han The Thanh thanh at informatics.muni.cz
Wed Feb 21 12:38:50 CET 2001

> Experts, please, help me.
> What succession of the font transformations is used
> in pdftex, dvips and dvipdfm?
>
> a) It is determined by a font description in a map-file,
> for example,
> ptmro8re ...... "1.2 ExtendFont .167 SlantFont" or
> ptmro8re ... -e 1.2 -s .167
> What transformation is the first in this case?
>
> b) It is predefined in each programm.
> Again, what transformation is made at first?

pdftex always does slanting first, regardless the order given in the map
entry. (see writet1.c)

Thanh

PS: Concerning the font embedding problem: yes it would certainly be great
to make pdftex to embed one font file for multiple instances using various
transformations of a single font. But I am sorry to say that I am not going
to do it, as I don't consider it worthwhile for the needed effort.