[pdftex] size of glyphs in postscript fonts

White, George WhiteG at mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Wed Feb 7 08:29:43 CET 2001

Your question is appropriate to the pdftex list: a) because pdftex
encourages you to use the base fonts (e.g., Times-Roman) when you need
compact pdf files, and b) because some tricks that you can use with
dvips to help match font sizes don't seem to have a pdftex equivalent.

There is no enforceable requirement that different font families
have similar real sizes at a given TeX "size".  Design differences
mean that even if you choose similar real sizes the line breaks will
be different.  Many publication layouts are designed for Times-Roman.
Because Computer Modern tends to need more space for a given "real" size,
such layouts tend to have too few words on a line and to produce lots of
poor line breaks when you use CM fonts scaled to match the size of
Times-Roman was used to develop the layout.

There have been some articles in TUGboat on scaling PostScript fonts
to give a better match to other TeX fonts.  If you are using LaTeX, some
packages do take pains to choose a series of sizes (e.g., for subscripts,
typewrite and sans fonts.,tc.) that better approximates the sizes of CM
fonts.

In some cases it may be easier to accept the sizes chosen by your macro
package
and adjust the page layout so that you end up with the desired final size by

scaling the page using a "dvips -y.." option.  I'm not aware of any
corresponding
trick when you are using pdftex to generate pdf files directly.