[pdftex] Directory Names with Spaces

Jeffrey McArthur jeffmcarthur at home.com
Wed Dec 19 22:42:56 CET 2001

This is probably a bit of an implementation specific question, but here
goes.

Windows allows directory names with spaces, in particular "\Program Files".
My question is this, how do I run PDF with a fully qualified file name.  For
example:

pdftex "c:/program files/local files/hello.tex"

fails like this:

C:\Temp>pdftex "c:/program files/local files/hello.tex"
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-14d (Web2c 7.3.1)
! I can't find file `c:/program'.
<*> c:/program
               files/local files/hello.tex
Please type another input file name:

Putting in double quotes does not seem to work.  Is there anyway to escape
or quote a file name/directory with a space in it?

I even tried some oddball ideas like

C:\Temp>pdftex \def\FName{c:/program\space files/local\space
files/hello.tex}\input\FName\relax

and even

C:\Temp>pdftex \catcode`\ =12\def\FName{c:/program files/local
files/hello.tex}\catcode`\ =10\input\FName\relax

Is there a way to do this?

    Jeffrey M\kern-.05em\raise.5ex\hbox{\b c}\kern-.05emArthur
    a.k.a. Jeffrey McArthur          ATLIS Publishing Services
    http://members.home.net/jeffmcarthur/