[pdftex] opentype

Thierry Bouche thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Wed Dec 19 21:59:33 CET 2001

Jens-Uwe Morawski a écrit :

> Hullo,
>
> I found that pdftex should be able to use OpenType Fonts.
> Can somebody please point me to a resource where i can find
> more information.

I'm afraid there's none.

> Especially i would like to know:
>  - differences in font installation, compared to TTF or Type1

OTF have 2 flavours: based on TTF or Type 2 charstring.

In the first case, pdftex will handle it as any other TTF, in the second
case, it won't be able to subset it, and ttf2afm won't be able to
generate any metrics. It _is_ painfully possible to generate an AFM for
a given OTF using ghostscript (without any kern), but I know of no free
tool allowing to do that nicely.

>  - advantages of OpenType (pdftex related, not in general)

none. I mean that tex's logic is somewhat in conflict with Opentype's,
so the format doesn't really bring anything interesting. The only
current advantage of using opentype is that it is the only format in
which some glyphs are available (the greek for Minion, e.g.)

Thierry