[pdftex] no room for a new dimen ... !?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Dec 8 12:25:52 CET 2001

> (C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\supp-mis.tex
> ! No room for a new \dimen .
> \ch at ck ...rrmessage {No room for a new #3}
>                                           \fi
> l.165 ...extdepth \do \newdimen \nextdepth
>                                            \fi
> )
>
> This is not one of those infamous 'TeX-capacity exceeded' incarnation,
> is it? I don't think either that this is a problem of supp-mis.tex,
> right?  However, where and how do i increase the room for new dimens, or
> what could be a feasible reason why pdflatex uses more dimens than good
> old latex, which digests the file without any problems?

you don't increase the number of new dimens, except by using pdfetex
rather than pdftex.  knuth's sets of registers have fixed cardinality
of 256, but etex and omega extend them.

it _is_ the fault of supp-mis; however, it can't help it, since you've
loaded stuff before it (that you're being all coy about) that has
gobbled up almost all the dimen registers.

if one of those things is pictex, see

  http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=usepictex