[pdftex] Characters missing when printing from Acrobat

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 5 07:29:28 CET 2001

> > >  ...................   My document displays
> > > fine when displayed using acrobat, but when printing, some characters are
> > > missing.
> >

> > > Any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it?
> > >

> >Very much a "new boy" myself, but in LaTex I use the following in my
> >preambles (not so much to help printing, but to force Type 1 fonts for a
> >legible screen display).
> >
> >\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
> >\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{phv}
> >\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{pcr}
>
> Thanks Michael. I gave it a try, but it did not make any difference. The
> main thing that puzzles me is that it is such a selected set of
> characters that does not work.

what version of acrobat reader are you using?  if it's an early one,
you're probably suffering the low-code bug: acrobat refusing to
display characters from code positions 0-31, since the fonts the
designers were thinking of didn't have characters in those positions.

that it makes no difference even if you're using adobe fonts points to
an encoding issue (it wouldn't happen in quite this way if you were
using ly1 fonts).

this is what the -G1 (remapping) switch was invented for, in dvips.
since you're using pdftex, the only solution (afaik) is to upgrade
your acrobat reader to something like 4.05.

beware versions 4.0 and 5, the former had bugs resolved in 4.05, and
there are unresolved confusions with 5 (probably at least some of them
brand new bugs).