[pdftex] Code comments [was: pdftex compression -- proposed addition to manual]

Tom Kacvinsky tjk at ams.org
Wed Aug 22 10:35:29 CEST 2001

Well, the old UN*X programmers adage is:

  If it was hard to write, damnit, it should be hard to read!

However, whenever I patch pdftex, I try my best to give lucid comments on
what I have done and why.  But I don't alawys succeed.  Part of the problem
is that I hold the opinion that code should be self documenting.  Good
variable names and well ordered structure lead to easy understanding of the
logic, so the comments don't have to be verbose.

Tom