[pdftex] another pretest -- failure using marovsym fonts

George N. White III WhiteG at mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Tue Aug 7 20:42:43 CEST 2001

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

> Would you please supply the PDF file?  If you cannot put it up on a
> website, please send it to me off-list.

I tried the file again and can't reproduce the problem.  I don't normally
restart Acrobat Reader very often -- my guess is that acroread was somehow
confused, but recovered after an overnight rest.

The sequence was:

1. pdfelatex symbols -- acroread fails on pages with marvosym fonts;
   attempts to list fonts results in a truncated list, stopping before the
   place where marvosym should have appeared.
2. recompile pdfelatex and rebuilt formats with reduced optimization,
   no improvement (the initial compile used the usual mandrake i686
   flags for gcc, the second compile used "-g -O2")
3. edit symbols.tex to omit the marvosym fonts
4. pdfelatex symbols -- acroread works with marvosym fonts omitted
5. send "bug" report
6. edit symbols.tex to include the marvosym fonts
7. pdfelatex symbols -- acroread works (in all this time, acroread
   was never restarted)

--
George N. White III <gnw3 at acm.org> Bedford Institute of Oceanography