[pdftex] pdftex compliance..

Tom Kacvinsky tjk at ams.org
Sun Aug 5 13:10:17 CEST 2001

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Y&Y Support wrote:

> At 16:18 2001-08-05 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:
>
> > The problem has been fixed.
>
> The problem has been fixed for *new* PDF files made by the *new* pdfTeX.
> Unfortunately, it can't be retroactively fixed for all the files that
> were made by the "old" version.  Also, how do we know there aren't other
> such things lurking in their, where liberties have been taken with the
> specification (and knowing that specifications are never complete or
> perfect).

Y&Y has a point here.  However, as long as someone is using the new pdftex,
the problems can be avoided.  Remember, the NSF did not tell the author
to NOt use pdftex.  The NSF told him to TEST print his proposal before
final submission.  There is a difference.

> As you can imagine, the people at NSF want to deal with grant proposals,
> not problems with software or file formats, so they are very keen to
> avoid such problems, perhaps more so than is really warranted, but you
> can perhaps see their point.

What most people don't get is that the NSF mainly wants distiller produced
PDF files.  Some authors are reluctant to spend the money on Acrobat.  So,
point, counterpoint.  The upside of lessening the amount of problem files
is forcing a user to use something they don't want to use.  Not that I
agree 100% with that position, but there it is.