[pdftex] pdftex compliance..

Y&Y Support support at yandy.com
Sun Aug 5 12:21:55 CEST 2001

At 16:18 2001-08-05 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:
>On 2001-08-05 10:11:55 -0400, Y&Y Support wrote:
> following
> > > dvi-ps-pdf
> > >
> > >PDF compliance is normally tested by putting the PDF through some
> > >PDF comsuming application, i.e. normally Adobe Acrobat or through
> > >a PDF normalizer. I know of no problems the current pdfTeX causes
> > >there, although some PDF RIPs have problems with PDF produced by
> > >pdfTeX.
> >
> > You can, however, see how they would be nervous about that,
> > given that PDF produced by pdfTeX could not be printed
> > from Acrobat Reader 5.0 to a PostScript printer.  This is the
> > kind of issue they are concerned about.
>
>The problem has been fixed.

The problem has been fixed for *new* PDF files made by the
*new* pdfTeX.  Unfortunately, it can't be retroactively fixed
for all the files that were made by the "old" version.
Also, how do we know there aren't other such things
lurking in their, where liberties have been taken with
the specification (and knowing that specifications are
never complete or perfect).

As you can imagine, the people at NSF want to deal with
grant proposals, not problems with software or file formats,
so they are very keen to avoid such problems, perhaps
more so than is really warranted, but you can perhaps
see their point.

--
http://www.yandy.com/acrobat5.htm

multipart/alternative