[pdftex] PDF generated from pdflatex causes acroread to grow without bounds?

pdftex at oddhack.engr.sgi.com pdftex at oddhack.engr.sgi.com
Fri Aug 3 17:02:06 CEST 2001

    I have a large LaTeX document (~300 pages) which I've modified for
pdflatex. The resulting PDF looks great in acroread - many thanks to the
pdftex/pdflatex authors! (I haven't yet figured out why references
imbedded in a table in a {sideways} environment show up in the link
color, but aren't clickable - but that's not a big deal).

    My problem is that acroread's memory footprint grows by 1-3 MB with
each page of text displayed from this document. Pages with embedded PDF
figures cause growth by more like 5 MB/page, although the PDF figures
themselves are tiny (~30K, primarily vector diagrams converted from
EPS). Revisiting previously displayed pages appears to cause significant
(perhaps lesser) further growth. After browsing through the document for
a while, acroread runs out of swap and crashes hard.

    It's unclear whether this is a pdftex or Adobe problem, but given
how long it's been since Adobe's updated the Linux acrobat reader,
workarounds not dependent on Adobe are needed. I haven't found anything
about this sort of problem in the FAQ or manual from
http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/, or in searching back through
the last 9 months of the pdftex list archives (though I could easily
have missed something there).

    Is this known behavior, and if so, are there workarounds? (changes
to my latex source? Moving to a later version of pdftex?) Is it peculiar
to a particular version or platform of acroread?

    Unfortunately, even if alternate readers like gv would solve the
problem in my case, I need to address the acroread problem - this
document will be read by many people on multiple platforms.

    Version info:

	pdfTeX Version 3.14159-13d, distributed with
	    tetex-1.0.7-21mdk on Mandrake 8.0 Linux
	Acrobat Reader 4.0 x86 linux stout0124 Jan 24 2000 15:00:03

    Thanks,
    Jon Leech