[pdftex] Re: pdftex-pdfcrypt - The Missing Link(?).

Ricardo Sanchez Carmenes carmenes at bioquimica.uniovi.es
Mon Apr 23 11:58:11 CEST 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> But then I put myself in the "pdfcrypt? no thanks!" camp :-}

I knew in advance that there would be people in favor and others
against, as encryption is one of these topics that tends to get
people emotionally involved ... like nuclear energy among others,
fields where I have myself mixed views. As in most of these fields,
I understand both "camps", therefore I do not fully subscribe any.

Anyway, like it or not, encryption is here to stay, it has
its uses (legitimate and less legitimate, clever or unclever,
as everything in life), and it has been included in the PDF specs,
so I see no reason for not to make it available to pdftex users.

My greatest regret is that, as currently defined, one cannot
encrypt only some parts of the pdf file. My primary interest would
be to have one file with questions and problems were only their
answers are encrypted, so that the user will be able to read the
answers when the password is released.

Would it be possible to reach this goal using embeded java code ?
(I must say that I am totally java-illiterate).

Regards to all,
Ricardo.