[pdftex] install pdftex 0.14h binary failed, please help.

White, George WhiteG at mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Fri Apr 20 09:57:50 CEST 2001

This posting and the responses raise the issue of how best to
handle updates to various packaged distributions such as linux
teTeX, or SGI's freeware teTeX.  On single user systems, it may
enough to simply install updates over the vendor-supplied
configuration, but even so this can create problems if you
later want to install a newer version of the system.  In some
environments (NFS mounted systems, multi-user systems) only
administrators are allowed to change the vendor-supplied
configuration.  It appears that many people attempt to work
around problems by setting environment variables such as
TEXINPUTS, which tends to defeat the purpose of the kpathsea
system.

The teTeX system makes it easy to have personalized configurations.
You can do this by creating a web2c directory for a customized
texmf.cnf, format, pool files, etc.  Then set TEXMFCNF to the path
for this directory.  With this approach, the usual mechanism to
find texmf.cnf relative to the location of the binaries is
not used, so you can install updated binaries in a new directory.
In this way you can test updates without overwriting your
vendor-supplied files.  To switch back to the vendor configuration
you need only remove TEXMFCNF and change the search path.

Remarks:

item 3+4)  you can edit "$TEXMFCNF/fmtutil.cnf" to determine which
formats are generated

item 6) you should follow the debugging instructions for the
kpathsea libraries to determine why the file isn't found.