[pdftex] font expansion

Han The Thanh thanh at informatics.muni.cz
Fri Apr 20 14:24:48 CEST 2001

> ! Font \csname\endcsname=p1xr+20 at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric
> (TFM) file not found.
>
> I know that the special stretched fonts are not available but I
> thought they would be generated on the fly.

they can be generated on the fly, however you need to setup a couple of
things before it can work. This issue depends on too many other things, and I
only describe here what I have done to get it work on my system
(linux/tetex) for isolatin2 encoding only (8z in fontname scheme).

1) I have changed the script mktextfm so it can recognize expanded font
   names like cmr10+20 or ptmr8z-10

2) if the requested font is a cm or cm-based font (tested with czech
   and vietnamese cm fonts), then the mf sources are created by
   increasing the unit width (#u), then the tfm is created using mf.

3) if the requested font is a multiple master font or Type1 font, a
    script called mktfm8z is called to create the metrics for 8z
    encoding.

The process is rather complicated and hacky.
I put the relevant files on
ftp://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/local/cstug/thanh/pdftex/ext

Thanh