[pdftex] font expansion

Carsten Schurig Carsten.Schurig at gmx.net
Fri Apr 20 11:23:24 CEST 2001

Hi,

as I'm using the protruding char feature of pdftex for some time
now I wanted to test the font expansion. But it doesn't work for
me. All I get is:

kpathsea: Running mktextfm  p1xr+20
mktextfm: Running mf \mode:=ljfive; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input
p1xr+20
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.1)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf  p1xr+20
! I can't find file `p1xr+20'.
<*> ...=ljfive; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input p1xr+20

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...=ljfive; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input p1xr+20

Transcript written on mfput.log.
mktextfm: `mf \mode:=ljfive; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input p1xr+20'
failed.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
! Font \csname\endcsname=p1xr+20 at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric
(TFM) file not found.

I know that the special stretched fonts are not available but I
thought they would be generated on the fly.

I'm using the pxfonts but anyway that doesn't matter, because using
times or ec or cm or normal palatino doesn't change anything.

To activate the features I use:

  \def\setupfont{%
    \setprotcode\font%
    \pdffontexpand\font 20 20 5 1000%
    }
  \def\setupfam{%
    \setupfont%
    {\itshape\setupfont}%
    {\bfseries\setupfont}%

and

  \AtBeginDocument{
    \setupfam % normale Fontgröße
    {\Huge\setupfam}
    {\huge\setupfam}
    {\LARGE\setupfam}
    {\Large\setupfam}
    {\large\setupfam}
    {\small\setupfam} % activate the small font
    {\footnotesize\setupfam} % activate the footnote font
    {\scriptsize\setupfam}
    {\tiny\setupfam}
    }

I'm using
        pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.3.1) 3.14159-0.14h-released-20010417
        kpathsea version 3.3.3.1

It's not utterly important but I'd really like to test what my
document would look like. I also hope toreduce the hyphens (my
document is in German and in German there are many loooong words,
especially in science...).

Thanks in advance,
        Carsten

--