[pdftex] Re: pdftex-pdfcrypt - The Missing Link(?).

Michael Chapman mchapman at mchapman.com
Wed Apr 18 11:28:13 CEST 2001

Freedom surely embraces the freedom to be silly . . . if not offensive ?

On Wednesday 18 April 2001 09:08, Greg Black wrote:

> This goal is much better met by attaching a digital signature
> with PGP or GPG and leaving the document in a form that allows
> its readers to use it in ways that are comfortable for them.

But what proposrtion of e-mail recipients have (functionally) access to
(and/or understanding of) PGP/GPG?
Conversely, Acrobat is installed on most people's boxes.

> As the idiot commercial sector continues to demonstrate (surely
> people still remember the DVD nonsense), trying to lock stuff up
> simply doesn't work.  It just annoys legitimate users and does
> nothing to stop determined people from getting at it anyway.
>
> How long do you think it would take me to produce the printed
> version of your version that is supposed to prevent printing?

It was me that mentionned the 14-year old cracker, so whilst I accept the
other points made -if not agreeing with them in detail- I think this last
one (and the feminist jibe) are uncalled for.

I do also work for a (law) publisher. Security, IP protection are not binary.
They are about balances of convenience to both supplier and user.
pdfcrypt extends the possibilities and thus allows better balances.

Michael.