[pdftex] Replacing pk fonts with type1 in third party ps files

Y&Y Support support at YandY.com
Thu Apr 12 18:50:13 CEST 2001

Hi:

At 04:04 PM 4/12/2001 +0200, Berthold Crysmann wrote:

>is there a tool which allows one to replace the cm pk fonts included in
>some ps file with their type1 equivalents? I have to fix some third
>party ps file for inclusion in one of my documents. I remember having
>seen something like that a long time ago, but I do not recall where. Any
>pointers are most wellcome.
>
>Thanks, Berthold

This would not be too hard with recent PS from DVIPS, since it now includes
comments telling you what each font is.

It is near impossible to do reliably with output from older versions
of DVIPS since the fonts are not marked and you have to do
pattern recognition on the PK bitmaps to see what each one is.
This in itself would not be too hard if specific CM fonts
had specific PK bitmaps at a given resolution.

But because of the madness of "modedef" (an attempt to make
CM look fatter than it really is) different installation have
different PK bitmaps.

There have been attempts to write code to deal with this, but
it is a hard problem with a very limited applicability and
apparently no one has sufficient interest or finances to do
something about it.  Fortunately most enlightened souls now
use scalable outline fonts.

Regards, Berthold Horn

--
Y&Y, Inc. Support  mailto:support at YandY.com  http://www.YandY.com  (MT)