[pdftex] "\frontmatter" and page-numbering.

Gianluigi Bertin gbertin at tin.it
Mon Apr 9 21:10:17 CEST 2001

Michael Chapman wrote:

> I had always considered in a "feature" of Acroread that page numbers in the
> bottom-line box were usually out of sync. with the document. I.e. the 'Reader
> strictly numbered from "1" and allowed for no title pages or front matter.
>
> However I see from Adobe's  PDF14Deltas.pdf (one of Donald Story's recent
> references) that it is possible to have "i, ii, ii, . . . viii, 1, 2 . . .
> 230" or whatever.  (The file doesn't _say_ you can do it (or how) it is just
> a practical example of it being done.)

It's in Acrobat 5:

"Acrobat allows you to number or renumber the pages in your documents in a
variety of
ways.You can specify a different numbering style for groups of pages, for
instance, 1, 2, 3,
or i, ii, iii, or a, b, c.You can also customize the numbering system by adding
a prefix. For
example, the numbering for chapter 1 could be 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, and so on, and for
chapter 2,
it could be 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, and so on.
To renumber one or more pages:
1 In the Thumbnails palette of the navigation pane, choose Number Pages from the

Thumbnails palette menu. Or choose Document > Number Pages.
2 Specify a page range in one of the following ways:
• Select All to specify the entire document.
• Select Selected to specify the thumbnails selected in the Thumbnails palette.
Selected
thumbnails must be contiguous.
• Select From to type in a range of pages.
3 Select one of the following:
• Begin New Section to start a new numbering sequence. Choose a style from the
pop-up
menu, and enter a starting page number for the section. Specify a prefix, if
desired.
• Extend Numbering Used in Preceding Section to Selected Pages to remove the
numbering currently assigned to the selected pages.The numbering used for the
previous set of pages will be extended to cover the selected pages.
4 Click OK."

glb