[pdftex] Acrobat 5.0 / consequences for pdftex

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Apr 9 17:01:26 CEST 2001

At 02:14 PM 4/9/01 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>the obvious question is, how much of the Acrobat5 features can pdftex
>support while keeping the PDF files readable by Acrobat3? Is it all
>hidden in extra keys which old readers will ignore?

As far as I can see, only the obsolete procset can be a problem. The
problem there is that afaik it was never really used by viewers, and pdftex
writes a minimal one to the file. Now the spec says to omit it (if i read
the 'obsolete' right) or to provide the maximal spec one, which is more
than pdftex currently does. So, a \pdfprocset{} primitive would be a decent
solution since it would be either empty (default) or filled by the macro
package to suit special cases. I assume that v 5 viewers will be clever
enough to view old files as well, but one never knows. Maybe GS people know
more details.

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl