[pdftex] threads and named identifiers

Andreas Matthias amat at kabsi.at
Wed Apr 4 20:10:39 CEST 2001

The manual says: Treads with same identifiers (spread across the document)
will be joined together.
But this just works using numbered identifiers (<numid> --> num <integer>).
Using named identifiers (<nameid> --> name <general text>) _all_ threads are
joined together independent of their names.
See the example below.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I am using pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525

Greetings
Andreas

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

\begin{document}
\Huge
\setlength{\unitlength}{1pt}
\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\def\hori{300}
\def\vert{100}

\pdfthread width \hori pt height0pt depth \vert pt
          name {a}
%           num 1 % <== this works as expected
\begin{picture}(\hori,\vert)
\framebox(\hori,\vert){Thread A}
\end{picture}
\newpage
%
% This thread has a different name, but it is
% joined to the first thread.
%
\pdfthread width \hori pt height0pt depth \vert pt
           name {b}
%            num 2
\begin{picture}(\hori,\vert)
\framebox(\hori,\vert){Thread B}