Non-member submission from ["Julio G. Dix" <jd01@swt.edu>]

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Dec 24 16:59:00 CET 1998

Chris Rowley wrote:

> > PDF annotations use a fixed encoding and font.
>
> Hmmm, approx.
>
> > The text is not processed by TeX at all.
>
> Errr, mmmm? I thought we had eventually found out that it is: maybe
> you need that technical documentation as much as i do!

Annotation pdf content (apart from the stuff that goes between
\pdfannotlink and \pdfendlink) is not processed at all, and text
annotations are handled by the general annotation primitive. Keep in
mind that currently there are 4 classes of annotations; 3 can be taken
care of by \pdfannot, and \pdfannotlink handles the link case where
clickable stuff is translated by tex into rect specs. Clicking concerns
areas, and no encoding is involved at all. In general, annotations as
present in pdf are rather week with respect to manupulations, you cannot
scale them for instance. Absolute positioning is involved, which is why
the special case is needed.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma at wxs.nl