Ignoring pdftex primitives

Sebastian Rahtz s.rahtz at elsevier.co.uk
Mon Dec 14 12:38:58 CET 1998

George White writes:
 > It would probably help, particularly in these days of cut and paste
 > document writing, to encourage better practices if Sebastian's suggestion
 > were adopted in the example documents provided with pdftex and in the FAQ.

pdftex only *has* one example file, to be fair. i'd agree that
rewriting it as a model of portability would be a good exercise, who
is volunteering?

 > It would also be useful to add pdftex support to some widely used
 > documents such as the manual for the graphics package, and in fact useful
i'd mildly surprised there is any problem with just running "hylatex"
on most such files. the grfguide is a rather special problem, i think.

what _I'd_ like is for "docstrip" not to use the | stuff in its
indexing, so that hyperref could get a good index immediately

 > that online documentation in pdf format is more likely to be read than if
 > it is in .dvi or even .ps format, if only because it takes a bit more
i agree.

Sebastian