Ignoring pdftex primitives

Taco Hoekwater taco.hoekwater at wkap.nl
Thu Dec 10 15:25:20 CET 1998

> > Incidentally, with the syntax as it is, I notice that I can't
> > include an image file with a name like depthcharge.png.
>
> If you know there is no depth you can always use depth 0pt, can't you?
> so that \pdfimage has seen a depth and doesn't look for another. (not
> tried)

Unfortunately, the original author is right. And it's in TeX itself
too, but there the parser does not have to look ahead for the image
name, so it is less annoying. Try:

This nice block:
\vrule width 3pt height 3pt depth 0pt heightened my TeX appreciation

Here you can insert \relax, but that won't work for pdftex since then
it will believe the image file is "" (\relax). The only way out is to
split the two primitives into \pdfimagesize and \pdfimage, like so:

	\pdfimagesize height 34pt
	\pdfimage heightened.png

Which is also ugly, but a bit more in line with the rest of TeX.

Greetings, Taco