page size / position

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Dec 1 15:07:32 CET 1998

Jiri Osoba wrote:

> Generally - in my opinion - all dimensions (pagewidth, pageheight,
> horigin and vorigin) from pdftex.cfg should be read at the first
> \shipout - including true specification.

Well, the values set by tex (\pdf...) should always overload the cfg
ones. The cfg values are only needed when the macro package does not set
them.

Furthermore, because some positioning in pdf is hardcoded (related to
origin), postponing till shipout is not always possible I guess. Also,
the page width and height need to be taken into account before shipout,
if only to position the typeset page on the paper page and calculate
whatever offsets, backgrounds etc needed.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma at wxs.nl