[OzTeX] printing in OzTeX 5.2 (again!)

Andrew Trevorrow andrew at trevorrow.com
Mon Dec 15 23:14:35 CET 2008

Uli Wienands wrote:

> So I have been merrily printing along until the page count got to the
> point where I really want to print double-sided. To do that I'd go to
> "Use Standard PostScript" where I have access to all our printer's
> options.
>
> Except that I am getting an error like "PICT-with-PS document format
> is not supported". ...

Apple have dropped support for that option in newer versions of OS X,
presumably as part of the decision to deprecate QuickDraw.

> Any way to fix that? Or anyway to coerce dvips to print double-sided
> on an HPLaserJet (in non-standard-ps mode)?

Try adding the dvips option "-h Duplex".  It tells dvips to include
the header file TeX/DVIPS/Inputs/Duplex which contains this info:

%%BeginFeature: *Duplex true
<</Duplex true>> setpagedevice
%%EndFeature

Such ps code is printer-specific and might not be recognized by your
particular printer.  If it doesn't work, try replacing the contents
of Duplex with this:

statusdict begin true setduplexmode end

And if that doesn't work, try using another app to print a document
with the two-sided option selected but save to a .ps file if you can.
Then search that file for "uplex" and maybe you can pull out the code
that enables duplex printing and put it in a new header file that you
can include via -h when you print from OzTeX.  If it works then
you could access other printer-specific features that are normally
available only via the standard print dialog.

Let us know if you manage to find a solution.

Andrew