[OzTeX] Using PDF graphics

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Sat Nov 5 10:19:58 CET 2005

On 04.11.2005, at 23:29, John B. Thoo wrote:
>>> Hi.  I have always used EPS files for my graphics.  How may use
>>> PDF files instead?  Or do I have to convert them to EPS?
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> ---John.

>> Install GhostScript, and then just use the command
>>
>> epstopdf <epsfile>
>>
>> to convert existing eps-files to pdf.
>
> Hi.  Thanks for your reply.  It seems, however, that my question
> was not clear.
>
> I already have PDF files, so I don't need to convert to PDF.  My
> problem is that, for instance, when I use
>
>   \includegraphics[height=8.0in]{crop0005}
>
> to include the file "crop0005.pdf", OzTeX gives the error
>

> ! LaTeX Error: File `crop0005' not found.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.89 ...degraphics[height=8.0in]{crop0005}
>

> whereas I have _no_ problem if the file is "crop0005.eps".  So,
> what do I have to do to be able to use PDF files (so that I won't
> have to convert them to EPS)?
>
> I am using
>
>  \documentclass[20pt,dvips]{foils}
>  \usepackage[]{amsmath,amssymb}
>  \usepackage[]{graphicx}
>
> and OzTeX 5.2 on Panther.  Thanks again.

Oh, I see -  sorry, it seems I misinterpreted your question. Using
pdf graphics doesn't work with ordinary LaTeX, it only works when
using pdflatex for typesetting, you can do this with the command
"pdflatex <file.tex>" in the "Tools"-Menu of OzTeX. This will
directly create a pdf output file instead of a dvi.
However, I assume you must have teTeX installed for that to work,
then configure OzTeX to use teTeX's search paths. teTeX is the
standard TeX implementation on Unix systems, the i-installer by
Gerben Wierda makes installing it really easy; see http://www.rna.nl/
tex.html .

Hope that helps,

	Bernhard