[OzTeX] eps pictures

Andrew Trevorrow andrew at trevorrow.com
Wed Feb 2 07:38:46 CET 2005

> I am using  a Macintosh with system OS 10.3
> and OzTex 5.2 and I have problems with eps pictures
>
> I generate eps using OmniGrapphle
> and when I insert them in theLatex document
> I can generate a dvi
> print it without problems, but I cannot see it on the screen (I get a message
> "could not create pdf from ....eps")

OzTeX calls a script that runs Ghostscript to convert your eps file to
a pdf file, so the first check is to ensure gs (Ghostscript) is installed.
Start up Terminal and type "which gs":

akt% which gs
/usr/local/bin/gs

This indicates that gs is installed in /usr/local/bin/.
Now select Show > Files and Folders from OzTeX's Config menu and look for
the unix_path setting near the bottom.  Mine is the Default setting:

unix_path = /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current

/usr/local/bin/ is present in the list of paths so OzTeX has no problem
running gs.

If you do have gs installed and its path is in OzTeX's unix_path list then
I'll need more clues.  Switch to OzTeX and type option-d when the OzTeX
window is frontmost -- this will turn on a debugging mode:

*** DEBUG MODE IS ON ***

Now view a dvi page containing an eps file.  With convert_eps set to 1
you should see something like this in the OzTeX window:

*** CONVERTING EPS TO PDF
Command: oz-convert-eps circle.eps /private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/oz1343-3325443864.pdf
Directory: HD:testdisplay:

Hopefully the output you see will explain what is going wrong.
One possibility might be that you don't have write permission to the
/private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/ directory, so check that in Terminal:

akt% ls -l /private/tmp/501
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  6 akt  wheel  204 16 Jan 00:01 TemporaryItems

If your permissions look wrong then try using Disk Utility to repair disk
permissions.

Andrew