[omega] Some problems with Malayalam Omega

Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 08:18:36 CEST 2014

Hello,

I am new here, though I have been using Omega for some years now. I
have completed two books in Malayalam usin Omega, one in old lipi and
the other in new lipi. Since I had to redo the first one slightly to
suit the style book of the publisher, it took me some time and gave me
many problems:

1) To begin with, the index wouldn't work properly. It gave an error
message that said that none of the entries in the idx file was good
and rejected all of them. But, fortunately, Mr. C.V. Radhakrishnan
came to my help and showed me how to edit the idx file and save it as
ind file to get the index properly.

2) Then I had problems like the Malayalam part in the index not always
following the alphabetical order with a few words at the beginning
standing apart. Again, I had someone coming to my help (this time it
was A.J. Alex, the maintainer of Malayalam LaTeX and Malayalam Omega)
showing me how to edit the ind file to make it all right. But still
the index is not coming properly. The present problem is that words
that appear more than once in the book are repeated in the index,
instead of the word appearing once and the page numbers being listed.

>From my experience, it looks like a bug in omega than anything else.
Hence I thought I should report it here, as there are still people
using omega although xelatex has begun to replace it.

Thanks and regards,
Sasi

--
V. Sasi Kumar