[omega] typesetting biblical hebrew with makor and a protext install

sam sayag samuelsayag at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 10:14:14 CET 2008

Hello everybody,

I'm Samuel, I'm french (so please forgive my english faults). I'm new to the
world of TeX, LaTeX and of course Omega too.
I need (in fact my sister need but i'll do the job for her) to typeset
biblical hebrew (for research paper needs) with all the strange stuff around
the letters : cantilation, vocalisation and so on.
So I brought together my courage and decide to dive in the world of TeX. I
discover CTAN and in the hebrew section an interesting package called Makor
that let you typeset at least the bible if you had the courage...
I installed quite easily ProTeXt (MikTeX, TeXniccenter, ghostscript/view...)
, tested it with french basic document but things got complex when I tried
to obtain my first "hello world" example in biblical hebrew. I read the
manual and it is said that Makor use Omega/TeX. I try to read a few thing
about Omega but I cannot find any document saying (for a newcomer) how to
use it in the context of a ProTeX or TeXLive basic installation and how
these progamms (it seems omega and lambda) interact with TeX when I push the
Ctrl+F7 button on TeXnicenter the moment I compile.

 first question : Did I miss something on the internet ? Do I have to read
something before bothering people on this list ? Is there a tutorial
somewhere ?

Then the guy (Alan Hoenig) says in the Makor documentation that you have to
:

"place psfonts.mkr2 into your file psfonts.map"

 second question : how do i do this with MikTeX ? In the settings I made
miktex point on the Makor tree (it is suppose to work because makor tree
respect the TDS I read and trust) and then refresh the FNDB (file name data
base ?). I even found the psfonts.map in my windows settings (C:\Documents
and Settings\sayag_s\Local Settings\Application
Data\MiKTeX\2.7\dvips\config) but couldn't see the mapping of the new fonts
(maybe it is normal i don't know ...).

and then run in commands :

C:\> omega mkrotest
C:\> lambda mkrltest

these commands did produce the DVI I was waiting for (i still do not
understand what is the difference between the omega and lambda and why i
need two command to produce two docs even if i need one at the end) but then
another problem rose :

the YAP.exe wich is the DVI viewer cannot find this ezra fonts but I noticed
he could find the ezra2 font at the right place. It is strange because both
the font should be at the same place (is it a makor bug).

after three days trying this and that I'm just a bit discouraged that's why
I ask for help (the french tex list GUTemberg has no idea about how to solve
the probleme and a few forum gave me the same answer : you need somebody
that know something about Omega...)

Thank (a lot) by advance if somebody can help
(I promise I'll make a tutorial for newbies once the whole thing is finished
:))

--
Samuel SAYAG