[metapost] Uninitialized variable sometimes causing malformed TFM files

Marcel Krüger tex at 2krueger.de
Wed Mar 20 18:54:06 CET 2019

 ---- On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 18:29:09 +0100 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso at gmail.com> wrote ----

 > On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 6:04 PM Marcel Krüger <tex at 2krueger.de> wrote:
 >
 > sorry for delay, I will it asap. --
 > luigi

Thanks. There is one other thing, I do not really know if I would describe it as a backward compatibility bug or a feature request:

For non-"scaled" numbersystems, code like

filldraw stroke z1e--z2e;
(example taken from cmbase.mf, `left_bracket`)

fail, because z1e-- is interpreted as z 1e- - instead of z1e --. So z1e--z2e is equal to z1-z2e, leading to lots of errors.

I understand that the new numbersystems and the exponential syntax can lead to problems of this kind, but I think this could be avoided:
Maybe a `e+` / `e-` could only be interpreted as exponential notation if it is followed by a  digit? I do not think
anyone would write "1e-" or "3e+" for 1 or 3, so it should not lead to any breakage.
On the other hand it would catch almost all cases where this is invoked accidentially.

A possible implementation of this change  is attached.

Best regards
Marcel Krüger