[metapost] make_text related scanning improvements

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sat May 19 10:22:39 CEST 2018

On 5/18/2018 2:27 PM, Marcel Krüger wrote:

>   > right, so
>   >
>   >    btex ... etex
>   >
>   > will stay as it is, but i'll look if
>   >
>   >    verbatimtex ... etex
>   >
>   > can optionally (!) deal with newlines

As we're in the script only branch i now have a version (that i have to
test a bit more) that does this

texscriptmode := 0 ; % no newlines
texscriptmode := 1 ; % verbatimtex newlines (default)
texscriptmode := 2 ; % verbatimtex and etex newlines
texscriptmode := 3 ; % no leading and trailing strip verbatimtex
texscriptmode := 4 ; % no leading and trailing strip btex

by setting it to 4 one basically delegates all to the lua handler.

Futhermore: an etex has to be at the beginning of a line or preceded by
a whitespace or ; and has to be followed by whitespace or ; or be at the
end of a line.

So we end up with a somewehat hybrid solution that we can control.

Hans