[metapost] polygonal pen bugs (was: a message for prof. Knuth?)

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Tue Jun 18 15:44:53 CEST 2013

[fullquote, moving to the MetaPost list]

Hi all,

Am 18.06.2013 12:00, schrieb Boguslaw Jackowski:

> Dear Karl, dear CCers
>
> KB:
>> do you have any sense of whether the pensquare bug
>> Stephan reported on mp-implementors a few days ago could be present in
>> mf, and hence sendable to Knuth?  If not, perhaps we could ask Hobby.
>> In any case, I suspect you are one of the few people in the world who
>> might understand what's going on, especially mathematically ...
>
> It seems to be a "chronic" (I dare not say "incurable") error in MP.
> Actually, I reported it in my email of 16 Jan 2001 to JDH; two of a few
> flaws I listed then are still alive and kicking, namely:
>
>    % file err-pen1.mp
>    beginfig(100) draw origin..(100bp,0){up}..cycle withpen pensquare scaled 3mm; endfig; % WRONG
>    beginfig(101) draw origin..(100bp,0){up}..cycle withpen pensquare rotated eps scaled 3mm; endfig; % OK
>    end.
>    % EOF
>
>    % file err-pen2.mp
>    linecap:=butt;
>    beginfig(100) draw (0,0)--(5cm,0) withpen pensquare scaled 3mm; endfig; % WRONG (oblique ends)
>    beginfig(101) draw (0,0)--(5cm,0) withpen pencircle scaled 3mm; endfig; % OK
>    end.
>    % EOF
>
> The former of the two examples cotresponds actually to the bug reported by
> Stephan.

Just a short explanation of my example.  I have only recently noticed
that MetaPost gained an envelope primitive/macro(?) in MetaPost 1.100,
my very first experiment with that failing badly.  What I didn't
realise, but the example sent by me already shows, is that the error is
not in the envelope command exclusively, but the stroked path is also
wrong.  So, yes, my example is just another instance of the polygonal
pen bug(s) listed, e.g., here
<URL:http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb27-0/hoekwater.pdf>.

I have one more instance to add to that list with a squared linecap.
Additionally, MetaPost versions differ in how they exhibit the bug(s).
I have attached another file to this mail, this time drawing three paths
with linecap set to butt, rounded and squared, resp.  The output file
name contains the value of variable mpversion, so that compiling the
example with different MetaPost versions and then running

  pdftex mpsproof sq*.mps

results in a chart for easy cross-checking MetaPost versions.  The
attached PDF contains output of MetaPost 1.504 and 1.802.  Not, how the
half circles turn out better with 1.802, but the ends of the straight
line are even more distorted for a squared linecap.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig