[metapost] A query about metafont/post's capabilities (for CNC)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Jul 23 16:10:03 CEST 2013

I've recently become interested in CNC, and have been considering using METAPOST in a CNC work-flow (I think I can use pstoedit to convert .pdf (or .mp) files to G-Code).

Is it reasonable for me to expect that I will be able to learn how to program a function / module / program which, given a filled region will create a continuous, as-smooth-as-possible, spiraling path which will completely fill the area w/ a circular pen of a given size and a certain minimum overlap (and which can either start from the center of the region and move out, or work its way from the outside in)? Bonus points if it's also able to accommodate holes.

Or is this already an explicit capability of METAPOST and I haven't gotten to it in the manual yet?

If not, what other tool should I be looking at?

Thanks!

William

--
William Adams