[metapost] [bug report] Segmentation fault when unifying strings

Ohad Kammar ohad.kammar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 15:51:41 CET 2013

Hi,

When I metapost the following program, I get a segmentation fault:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
string a;

%a = "a";% works fine.
"a" = a;   % segmentation fault.

end
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

typing:
$ mpost --version
gives:
%%%%%%%%%%
MetaPost 1.504
The MetaPost source code in the public domain.
MetaPost also uses code available under the
GNU Lesser General Public License (version 3 or later);
therefore MetaPost executables are covered by the LGPL.
There is NO warranty.
For more information about these matters, see the file
COPYING.LESSER or <http://gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html>.
Original author of MetaPost: John Hobby.
Author of the CWEB MetaPost: Taco Hoekwater.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.1 on a 32-bit machine.

I'm happy to supply further details if needed.

Yours,
Ohad.