[metapost] "input mp-tool" and "input metafun" do not work

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at mac.com
Sun Jan 6 09:12:50 CET 2013

Le 5 janv. 2013 à 02:04, Hans Hagen a écrit :

> On 1/4/2013 6:45 PM, Franck Pastor wrote:
>>

>> With MetaFun, it is sometimes difficult to know where MetaPost ends and where ConteXt begins ;-) At first it seemed to me that is was more of a subject for the MetaPost mailing list.
>>
>> By the way, I don't use ConTeXt and as far as I kwnow, it is precisely people who don't use ConTeXt that usually write "input mp-tool" of "input metafun" at the beginning of their MetaPost files.  Whereas ConTeXt users directly use MetaFun, I suppose. So I will be a little awkward when I ask about it in the ConTeXt mailing list :-)
>
> not that awkward .. discussions on the list are a mix of tex, mp and lua
>
> anyhow, fyi one can wrap mp code in:
>
> \startMPpage % [offset=...]
>
> \stopMPpage
>
> and run that file trough context. The advantage is that one has full opentype font support that way and get pdf files.
>
> \starttext
>
> \startMPpage % [offset=...]
>
> \stopMPpage
>
> \startMPpage % [offset=...]
>
> \stopMPpage
>
> \stoptext
>
> Will create a two page file (in e.g. latex one ca filter such a page).
>
> Hans

I knew about these commands (I am currently reading your Metafun manual ;-) but if I am not mistaken they are relevant only if I don't have heavy specific LaTeX code in the labels.

As a LaTeX user, my preferred way to include "raw" MetaPost code in my LaTeX code is Enrico Gregorio's "gmp" package (that is to say, when I do not use the mfpic package as a (La)TeX interface for MetaPost). Otherwise, for standalone MetaPost drawings I use Nicola Vitacolonna's MetaPost engines for TeXShop (one of them support Metafun, with the use of ConTeXt  for labels and preview).

Gelukkig Nieuwjaar vanuit Brussel (BTW I didn't know of the existence in the Netherlands of another Hasselt ;-))