[metapost] [mp-implementors] MetaPost 1.790

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Feb 17 18:03:53 CET 2013

I am happy to announce a new test release of MetaPost:

MetaPost 1.790

This is a third test release for the new functionality planned in
MetaPost 1.800. Besides a few bug fixes, this version has lots of
internal speed-ups so that its running times should now be comparable
to the MetaPost 1.50x series.

All the reported new bugs in 1.780 have been fixed, but I may have
introduced new problems while adding the speed optimizations. Use with
care, and *do* let me know if something is wrong!

This version will not be uploaded to CTAN / TLcontrib yet. The plan is
to wait another for a few weeks before releasing 1.800. That will then
be an official end-user release.

The win32 binary can be downloaded immediately from files section at

   https://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost/

The new foundry software is still not quite up to speed, so there
is no source tarball uploaded yet (it was too large for the web form).
If you want to build this latest MetaPost either wait a few days while
Fabrice fixes foundry, or do an anonymous subversion checkout yourself:

   $ svn checkout --username anonsvn
https://foundry.supelec.fr/svn/metapost/tags/1.790

The password is anonsvn

What is new in MetaPost version 1.790:

* Lots of speed-ups.

* Fixed bug in division expressions that started with a literal number.

* A few problems with bad deallocations were solved.

* A bug where after saving and redefinition of primitives, they later
   were restored to 'undefined' instead of to their primitive meaning.

* The "double" literal number parser now only accepts scientific
   notation if the character following 'E' or 'e' is '+', '-', or
   a digit.

Legal notice / license / bug reports

MetaPost is a system for producing graphics developed by John Hobby
at AT&T, based on Donald Knuth's Metafont.  The MetaPost home page
is http://tug.org/metapost.

MetaPost is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published
by the Free Software Foundation, either version 2.1 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

The MetaPost development project is currently hosted at Supelec,
https://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/metapost; with a bug tracker
at http://tracker.luatex.org/. Please report bugs and
request enhancements through there if possible. Alternatively, you
can reach us through the <metapost at tug.org> mailing list as well.

Have fun!

Taco Hoekwater, for the MetaPost team, February 17, 2013.