[metapost] problem with 'dvips mproof'

Daniel Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Mon Oct 11 00:23:17 CEST 2010

0n Sunday, October 10, 2010 at 3:18 pm, Stephan Hennig wrote:

> Am 10.10.2010 17:32, schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
> > On 10/10/2010 12:26 PM, Stephan Hennig wrote:
> >>>
> >> [...], but do I understand you correctly that setting prologues to
> >> 0 is /mandatory/ when using dvips or dvipdfm as a post-processor
> >> for MetaPost files?
> >
> > Apparently. The problem is that dvips subsets its own fonts without
> > adding a proper subset prefix to the font name, so that the embedded
> > font that results from prologues:=3 is actually not used.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > So, the cause of the problem is a flaw in dvips.
>
> Thanks!  I have moved the issue to tex-k.

Just one bit of information to add:

If you use mpsproof instead of mproof, and you use pdftex instead
of TeX, then dvips is bypassed and the procesing of fonts is then
handled by TeX macros (from conTeXt).  For this example,
the resulting PDFs appear to be identical for all 4 values of prologues.

Regards,
Dan

--
Daniel H. Luecking