[metapost] problems with memory in metapost

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat May 8 22:20:33 CEST 2010

On 8 May 2010 Yogeshwarsing Calleecharan wrote:

 > Thanks. But how to write such a "script". In what language?

I usually use Perl for things like this but any scripting language
supporting regular expressions is fine.

 > can this be done on the command line in Win XP?

Not directly.  Windows doesn't provide such tools.  But even on Unix I
prefer a programming language like Perl.

If you are not familiar with scripting languages and regular
expressions, please put the file on a web server where I can download
it or, if impossible, send it to me by mail.  But please note that
web.de rejects mails bigger than 5MB.

Regards,
  Reinhard

 > Thanks
 >
 > On 5/8/2010 2:32 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > > On 8 May 2010 Taco Hoekwater wrote:
 > >
 > >   >  It looks you (or gnuplot) are creating small rectangles instead
 > >   >  of simple dots, and that means that every data point expands into
 > >   >  quite a bit of postscript code:
 > >   >
 > >   >     newpath 414.37424 124.80127 moveto
 > >   >     416.37424 122.80127 lineto
 > >   >     418.37424 124.80127 lineto
 > >   >     416.37424 126.80127 lineto
 > >   >     closepath stroke
 > >
 > > If all these rectangles have the same shape and size, one could
 > > post-process the file and define a procedure:
 > >
 > > /R { newpath moveto
 > >       2 -2 rlineto 2 2 rlineto -2 2 rlineto closepath stroke
 > > } def
 > >
 > > Then the code-snippet above can be replaced by:
 > >
 > >     414.37424 124.80127 R
 > >
 > > This is actually equivalent to
 > >
 > >     newpath 414.37424 124.80127 moveto
 > >     2 -2 rlineto
 > >     2  2 rlineto
 > >     -2 2 rlineto
 > >     closepath stroke
 > >
 > > Note the use of relative coordinates and rlineto.
 > >
 > > This should save a lot of space but requires some post-processing.
 > >
 > > Regards,
 > >    Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25