[metapost] mptopdf corrupts source file

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at mac.com
Fri Jan 15 12:49:55 CET 2010

Le 15 janv. 10 à 10:08, Oliver Buerschaper a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I'm experiencing some issues with mptopdf in different scenarios...
>
> Suppose there are no errors in the MetaPost source file. Then the
> mptopdf program included in (a fresh) TeXLive 2009 seems to rename
> "file.mp" to "file" and then create "file.mp" again during
> compilation. The result: front ends like TeXShop track the original
> file and one ends up with the source "file" rather than "file.mp"
> opened in the editor window. After editing you can only typeset
> again if you "Save as" before. Quite annoying. In TeXLive 2008 the
> problem doesn't occur.
>
> Now assume that the MetaPost source file does contain an error. Then
> it's copied to "file.mp.copy" by mptopdf. This file is what the
> front end keeps opened. Hence correcting the error in the editor
> window and recompiling again needs a "Save as" beforehand which is
> rather time-consuming. This bug occurs both in TeXLive 2008 and 2009.
>
> Also in some cases mptopdf appears to append empty lines to the
> source file. Still investigating though.
>
> Best wishes,
> Oliver

The script oddly named "mptopdf" in TeXShop  is from Nicola
Vitacolonna, and has been incorporated under this rather improper
name  by Richard Koch in TeXShop >=2.28. You cand find it in /
Applications/TeXShop.app/contents/resources/mptopdfwrap, or in /Users/
<your-home>/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/metapost.engine.

The problems you report are probably from this script, not from the
original mptopdf. I suggest you report them to Nicola Vitacolonna (http://users.dimi.uniud.it/~nicola.vitacolonna/freesoftware.html